Saturday, March 28, 2015

If I Were a Book Character...

Have you ever read a book and realized that you were the main character? 

This should not be confused with imagining yourself as the main character.  If that were the case, I would currently be living on the island of Guernsey, married to Brady Stoner – the gravy-eating cowboy – and living next door to Dawsey and Juliet.

What I am talking about is reading a book and having so many similarities with the main character that it is almost ridiculous.  The book might as well have been written about you.  In fact, you double check the back cover to make sure you do not know the author in person.

I recently finished reading Cool Beans by Erynn Mangum, as a recommendation – and gift – from my mom.  And as I read, I got the overwhelming feeling that I was the main character, Maya Davis.

Here are some of the reasons why: 
  1. We both love making lists.
  2. We both love coffee.  Granted, I can’t drink caffeine, so coffee doesn’t happen all that often anymore.  But I am currently addicted to lemon-flavored Lipton’s Iced Tea, except that I drink it hot.  Hot iced tea.  I am not lost in the irony.
  3. We watch and love the same movies and TV shows: Runaway Bride, While You Were Sleeping, Friends, Gilmore Girls.
  4. We both love ice cream.  Oreo Blizzard, anyone?
  5. We both order the same entrée at Panda Express.  Orange Chicken.  The only way to go.
  6. We both, on occasion, eat chocolate for breakfast.  After all, chocolate is a vegetable: it comes from a bean, and beans are, without a doubt, vegetables. 
And on the list goes.

How is this possible?  I am still trying to figure it out.  In some ways, it makes reading easy because I know what to expect from Maya; she would do what I would do.  But it also gives me the heebie-jeebies.


As similarities abound and bewilderment lingers, I am off to read the second book in the series.  Let’s see what Maya has in store for us next…  

No comments:

Post a Comment